Thursday, March 8, 2012

Example 16: The Ultimate Defense

                         After racking my brain endlessly, I failed to think of anything that referenced the Odyssey that hadn't already been posted. Then I happened by a condom and immediately saw a connection between our culture and that of the ancient Greek world; the Trojan. I know the Trojans were largely the focus of the Iliad, but they do arise in the Odyssey when there is talk about the Trojan war or heroes in the Achaean ranks. The way I see the Trojan working for the condom companies is like this ''Our condoms last like that of the great city of Troy, and it would take a ten year onslaught to breach our defenses.'' Which is reassuring to the contraceptive intent. 

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant!

    Still, I wonder why that name was chosen. Slate magazine claims that outlined head with the helmet is supposed to denote "virility and protection" (http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/number_1/2006/09/the_other_trojan_war.html), but we know that the Trojans on the whole were inferior to the Greeks and that their defenses _were_ breached in the end.

    ReplyDelete